Twenty minutes later I pull up to the LDS temple in Bellevue - and there she is. Sitting poised, on a cold hard bench, in the rain, with her bags at her feet. I groan - as I realize, for the 67th time since I woke up this morning, that I am the world’s most neglectful and selfish daughter. How could I have slept through picking up my Mom? And she’s come all this way to visit.
When she sees me, she smiles, picks up her bags, and greets me enthusiastically. She’s not angry. She figured I was probably asleep – especially after having worked hard all night. It would be very difficult to respond to an alarm when your body’s so exhausted. And that’s my Mom – why worry about herself, when she can worry about me?
I’m such a disgrace.
I mean, what happens to forgotten mothers, is it the same as for lost children? If I’d never shown, would someone have tried to help her find my house? Would a nice police officer have taken her to the precinct, and let her draw pictures until they got wind of someone searching for her? Poor Mom. Left to fend for herself in cold, wet Seattle.
2 comments:
Your mom is lovely. I'm glad she got to visit.
That's the thing about moms, they just keep loving their kids even when we forget about them. Strange. Well it made for a good story anyway, don't go doing anything drastic :)
Post a Comment