Wednesday, July 02, 2008

We sit in the dark, on blankets, overlooking the ocean - expectant.

"It's dark already, shouldn't they start?"

And then there's a bang or two, followed by a little red star slipping toward the water. Ooh, good, it's started. But this is Powell River, and in Powell River, we do things our own way. There's nothing for about 5 minutes, and then some anxious member of the onshore crowd sends a flare out to sea. Meanwhile, on a manmade rocky extension of shore, fires start to blaze on hula-hoops, and ends of ropes - ah, the fire dancers - we'd heard rumors that they'd show up. But they're so far away they look about two inches high, and I'm not quite sure how to be entertained by them.

I lean over to my mom and whisper in her ear, "It would've been better if we stayed home and watched Dad set himself on fire." She laughs. And the bored fellow off to the right sends a few more Roman Candles out into the dark night.

This is Canada Day. And I'm glad that we didn't have to pay for the festivities. I try and get my parents to leave - we should just go home. A lone firework over the heads of 3 fire dancers a quarter of a mile away, is not quite enough to hold my attention. But Mom and Dad, like two children, have their legs out in front of them, hands on their laps, and are staring out excitedly. They say, in small voices, "But we want to see the fireworks." And I can't disappoint their happy little souls. So I lean back against the cool grass, and try to take a nap.

I've forgotten, all this time I've been away from home, that these things always start out slow, but you're never disappointed in the end. The darkness is blinded by flashes of color, that fall sparkling and twinkling to the water. And I recall standing in lapping waves next to friends anxiously awaiting the next firework - will it be fat or skinny I wonder, because this one is for me, and if it's too wide I'll have to duck my head in the water. A silly game, but I'm young - and I laugh as I see I'm going under. I remember other times too, where I've sat with friends and family, and quietly watched excited children's eyes reflect the sky-scape. And I remember, that as weird as it can sometimes be, this is home, and I'm happiest here.

2 comments:

em&m said...

Excellent.

Janna said...

that is lovely. we missed 4th of july fireworks this year. after walking around dc for about 5 hours, i decided i was simply too fat.